This is a very short list of my top recommendations for anyone who wants to start reading about these topics. The body of knowledge and literature is growing exponentially. If you have a particular question about a topic or want recommendations to go further, please get in touch and ask your questions.
Books – Human Trafficking
Johnson, Tate. Everyday Abolitionist
Hepburn S., Simon RJ. Human Trafficking Around the World: Hidden in Plain Sight. New York: Columbia University Press, 2013.
Bales, Kevin (1999). Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy. Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.
Books – Trauma (a small sample to get started)
Van der Kolk B. The Body Keeps the Score. New York: Penguin Books, 2014.
Herman JL. Trauma and Recovery. New York: Basic Books, 2001.
Harris, N.B. The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-term Effects of Childhood Adversity. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018.
Levine, P. Trauma through a Child’s Eyes. New York: North Atlantic Books, 2010.
Articles/Manuals – Trafficking
Caring for Trafficked Persons, Guidelines for Health Care Professionals. IOM. Geneva. 2009. http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/activities/by-theme/migration-health/caring-for-trafficked-persons/
Health and Human trafficking – Barrows, Beyerer, Lancet…
Zimmerman C, Watts C. WHO Ethical and Safety Recommendations for Interviewing Trafficked Women. London: LSHTM/WHO. 2003.
Child prostitution: global health burden, research needs, and interventions. Willis, B., Levy, B. Lancet 2002; 359: 1417-22
Articles/Manuals – Trauma
Felitti VJ. Relationship of Childhood Abuse and Household Dysfunction to Many of the Leading Causes of Death in Adults: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Am J Preventive Medicine Volume 14, Issue 4, pp 245-258, May 1998. http://www.acestudy.org
Najavits LM, Seeking Safety. In V. Follette & Ruzek (eds.) Cognitive-behavioral therapies for trauma 2nd ed. NY: Guilford Press. 2006.
- Relentless Webinar on Health and Human Trafficking https://relentless.thinkific.com/courses/relentless-intersection-of-healthcare-and-human-trafficking
- SOAR training online (health professionals) https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip/training/soar-to-health-and-wellness-training/soar-online
- HEAL trafficking resources https://healtrafficking.org/
- Human Trafficking Hotline https://humantraffickinghotline.org/
- Dignity Health www.dignityhealth.org/humantrafficking
- Slave Free Chocolate www.slavefreechocolate.org
- Ethical Fashion Guide https://baptistworldaid.org.au/resources/2019-ethical-fashion-guide/
- Ending Human Trafficking podcast https://endinghumantrafficking.org/podcast/