Consultation for Health Care Professionals
Health care professionals have a unique and important role to play in fighting human trafficking today. Studies show that many victims of human trafficking see a medical professional while in a trafficked situation. These are missed opportunities to identify victims and begin an intervention. Furthermore, health professionals can unintentionally re-traumatize patients in the course of providing care, which creates additional barriers and complicates the recovery process. Prevention of human trafficking is a key area of impact for health professionals. In addition, more research into the particularities of trafficked people’s health consequences and experiences with health care systems in different regions is needed.
Relentless is available to help your practice, clinic, hospital, residency training, or medical student program develop interventions to effectively address human trafficking. Examples of venues include:
- Hospital Grand Rounds or other Continuing Medical Education talks
- Conferences and seminars
- In-depth training workshops
- Distance lectures online
A few of the topics covered
- Human Trafficking and the Role of the health care professional
- Identification and referral of suspected trafficking victims
- How health care professionals can help prevent human trafficking
- Developing a holistic, trauma-informed practice
- Trauma and the brain-body connection
- Trauma and its impact on human development
- Self-care and boundaries and burnout prevention
You and Your Colleagues
- Will gain a better understanding of human trafficking and how you can leverage your skills to do something about it.
- Will learn more about how to identify victims and make safe referrals
- Will be able to provide trauma-informed care to victims and survivors
- Will have a better understanding of the complex way trauma impacts the physical and mental health of your traumatized patients.
- Will develop more trust and confidence in their health care provider
- Will have a better understanding of their brains and bodies and how they work.
- Will be empowered to take more responsibility for their well-being.
Get in touch
Reach out for more information about consultation.